Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration of a President: The Day After

Since early 2007 when Jacob urged me to get on the "Obama Train," I've read Obama's novels and most of his major speeches, supported the candidacy as much as I could, and followed all the primary and general election polls via RealClearPolitics and many other sources, right up until the night of the election and the ultimate victory. Still, I waited until this morning to believe the other guy was back in Texas and President Obama had secured his place in history.

This morning my first words to Beth were "Is Obama still president?" My lingering disbelief is partly a reflection of the overwhelming feeling that the "W" administration would never end, especially in light of his 'disastrous presidency,' and the convincing precept of my friend Dave Lentz's novel, AmericA, Inc., in which President Bash, nearly at the end of his legal term, incorporates the US government, circumventing the limit of his power, and thereby preserving his hold on America. I read an early draft before the novel was published, but have avoided it since, for fear reading it might make it true. I believe only now, that I'll be able to read it solely as a work of fiction.

Yesterday's Inauguration itself comes at the intersection of so many historical vectors, and although certainly President Obama's full impact on America will be shaped by the coming weeks and years, I share the feeling of hope and promise reflected by the campaign that brought him to The White House. Noting all he accomplished today (and wondering how much more he'd have accomplished with a full night's sleep instead of attending all those Balls), the slogan has become a reality and I feel a part of it.



Yes, we can!

No comments: