Sunday, June 8, 2008

Mt. Garfield

At 11:03 AM today, just under 39 years and 11 months from the date I summited the first of 48 New Hampshire 4,000 foot peaks, I reached the summit of Mt. Garfield. 48/48

I'd say I left the best for last!

Garfield, at 4,500,' is 17th on the list and smack dab in the middle geographically.

Roughly 30 of the other 48 are visible from the summit, including the Lafayette range to the west and Twins and Bonds to the east. Mt Washington is visible over the shoulder of North Twin. Today's view, thanks to a morning window of clear weather, was brilliant.

When Beth and I got back to the car, a congratulatory note from Tom and Atticus was under the wiper blades. Thanks guys!

3 comments:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

Congrats on achieving a long time goal.

beckie said...

Charlie, as I told Beth, I am IMPRESSED! Congratulations on a life dream being fulfilled. What a sense of accomplishment you must have.

Charlie said...

Rach and Beckie--

Thanks for your comments.

It did take me a long time, almost a lifetime, but it wasn't really a goal until a couple years ago. If I'd decided to do it in 1968, and took 40 years, I'd be pretty discouraged.

Fortunately, it only took about a year from when I made up my list of the final 14.

So yes, I feel great, but now on unfinished business in Maine and Vermont. No moss on this rolling stone!