Friday, May 30, 2008

Gold Guitars

One of the benefits of living in Gore, New Zealand was participating the Gold Guitars Awards competition. Two years ago this weekend, I took the stage as one of scores of country music entertainers from all over New Zealand who sought the bright lights and stardom in the country's biggest country music event. In addition to a number of age group and genre categories, the Queen's Birthday tradition in Gore includes busking, songwriting awards, best song and album competitions and a variety of workshops. See: http://www.goldguitars.co.nz/

I competed in two categories, Open and Senior (old folk like me). My years experience playing with Tequila Sunrise really gave me an advantage, but unfortunately I didn't advance to the finals. Maybe it was the bad joke about Prince Charles, or the fact that I was one of the only entrants to perform solo (most provided charts for the house band to provide backup), or that neither of the songs was a country standard (one was an original composition, the other a tune by Newfoundland's outstanding Great Big Sea), and/or that I was American???? (Not!) I'll have to work on my act for my next visit.

This year's winners are a vocal trio from Gore called E-Liza. I heard two of the group, Gore High School students Lana Mackay and Taylor Cairns, sing on numerous occasions two years ago and have no doubt of their talent. Word is that they'll be recording in Sydney, Australia before long. I'll be looking forward to hearing more from them!

3 comments:

Mike said...

Which Great Big Sea song?

The Nolette household is often filled with sounds of the men from north of the border.

Charlie said...

Mike--

"If I Was King" I have a video which I'll attach as soon as I get my copy of Quick Time Pro and edit it to length. The joke was "Having been named not long after (chronologically) the current Prince of Wales, I've spent most of my life wondering what it would be like to be King--I'm sure Prince Charles has been wondering too."

Charlie

Charlie said...

Correction: The title is "When I Am King."

C